Thursday, October 01, 2009

One month in and...

the honeymoon period is over.

But that doesn't mean I am through adjusting to life in Stockholm.

A little over one month ago, I was almost continuously awake for 72 hours as I prepared to move.  Most of that time was spent handling my  accumulation of stuff in Chicago- getting things prepared for the movers who came on Thursday of my last week, and getting things prepared for donation, which the actual donation task unfortunately was left to my amazing roommate Aaron because I ran out of time.

In all of the crazyness of those last days, there were a couple of teary moments.  I thought I'd really get slammed with sadness in the taxi ride to O'Hare.  My mind turned on the sad playlist so I had all sorts of lyrics about final this and last that.  During that last taxi ride, since I was busy talking to my parents, the wave of tears never came.  I checked into my flight, went to the lounge and grabbed a quick glass of juice and then it was time to head to the gate.  Before I knew it, I was on the plane, headed to a life in a city and country I had never experienced before.  And I hate to say it, but in that moment, I was filled with excitement for the adventures ahead.

Thinking back on it now, I feel some sadness.  I left so many people I care about behind.  I can only make up for that by looking forward to their visits and my periodic returns over the next few years.

I'm nowhere near settled in Sweden, miss friends back home, and feel their pain when they say that they miss me too.  Still, all of our lives are filled with change and must go on.  Here in Sweden, there's new adventure ahead.

It's tough to move a continent away from what you're familiar with, but day by day, I get by, knowing that there's always something amazing around the corner.

No comments: