Friday, January 13, 2006

Busy Friday

Loved those margaritas. Maybe a bit too much considering how much stuff I need to get done today.

I had to attach a passport photo to my Chinese visa application, but I couldn't find the photos I had taken awhile back. So I stopped by my local Walgreens to get four new passport photos (you never know when you might need some), and conveniently had a prescription refilled. The four passport photos cost just over $15, plus tax.

Then I headed downtown to the consulate, filled out the application and handed over a letter from PwC justifying my business trip (and saying that I will have adequate funds, lodging, etc. and will not be dependant on the government of Beijing), the application w/ photo, and my passport. I was surprised when the agent did not return my passport. There's a certain vulnerable feeling you get when you surrender your passport, even to a legitimate authority.... Because time is growing short, I requested express 2-day service for an extra $20; I don't have to pay for the visa until I pick it up on Tuesday. The visa itself is expensive, something like $95-- First of all, it's a double entry visa since I'm taking the side trip to Thailand, and second, China charges US citizens much more than citizens of other countries. I have no idea why they do this, but I have my theories....

My new camera and accessories arrived today. I'm performing the initial charge on the battery right now. Expect a demo photo later today.

Things I still need to do:
  • Book flights (economy: grumble grumble, I'm going to try to use miles to upgrade) and hotel, as well as ask corporate travel agent about flights to Thailand
  • Pick up the pair of pants from Saks--alterations have been completed
  • Consult with the travel clinic at Northwestern and probably get more shots
  • Pick up some stuff I had framed. One of them is a watercolor of a world traveller, very cute.

No comments: