Friday, January 20, 2006

Final packing list

All in all, I'm quite pleased that I was able to fit everything into my usual luggage and generally pack so light. So for three weeks, I will be limited to the following list of clothes, plus anything I might buy along the way:
  • 3 dress shirts and undershirts
  • 2 dress pants
  • 4 pairs black socks
  • 5 pairs underwear (Didn't your mother ever tell you, "you never know when you might get hit by a bus and you don't want to be caught wearing dirty underwear")
  • 1 athletic shirt
  • 1 athletic shorts
  • 1 plain white socks (in case I buy some cheap running shoes)
  • 1 pair jungle pants
  • 2 polos
  • 1 clubbing shirt
  • 1 small towel
  • 1 pair dress shoes
  • 1 pair Chacos sandals (they're nice)
  • 2 belts: 1 dress, 1 casual

Incidently, I'll be wearing my Columbia jacket and will have a hat and gloves along as well, since Beijing is quite cold right now. I don't expect to be needing it in Thailand!

I'm still thinking about whether or not I should bring a backpack to use as a day bag when I am out and about (mainly in Thailand). My gut says that I could probably buy a cheap one somewhere along the way.

As far as my schedule for today/tomorrow goes: I have a 15 min. conference call in the morning at 8:30 am. I'm going to head to the airport at 9:00, then chill until my flight leaves at noon. Thirteen hours later, I'll be in Beijing. During the flight, I need spend some time preparing some slides for a kickoff meeting on Monday morning, but since noon Chicago time is 2:00 am Beijing time, I think I will focus on getting a few hours of rest first to help in transitioning into the new time zone first, and work on the slides later in flight. (I've been staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning almost every night this week getting various things ready for this trip, and I could use the sleep anyway.)

Upon arrival in Beijing, I'll do the customs bit to exit the airport. The client arranged for a car service to transport me from the airport to my hotel. On Saturday evening, I'll grab some dinner and most likely stay in, but if I am not too tired, I might check out the night scene.

Since I'm staying in Chaoyang district, I'm going to try to check out the 2008 Olympics site, although I may come up with a more interesting option between now and then.

No comments: